




Oh my goodness . .. can you believe it?!?!? Rob and I did a 5 mile hike on Sunday morning after church. This trail is only a few minutes by car from our church. Now, I hav to admit we really had not anticipated going so far! So, it was sorta an accident . . .but I'm proud to say I did it!! And there were no problems!! We had heard that these trails led to the lake and thought it would be cool to take a picnic lunch and eat it when we arrived at the lake. Well we kept on walking and walking . . .still no signs of the lake. We took the "yellow" trail in and little did I know that meant hiking inside a very narrow canyon, having to slide down canyon walls, etc. This was a lot more than I had expected, but was a blast! Finally, we hiked up the canyon (it had widened) and the lake was visible, so of course even though we were tired we had to continue. What a feeling of accomplishment when we arrived at the picnic table at the lake!!! And a mile marker that noted 2.5 miles!! "Yikes" I thought to myself . .. . guess this means we have 2.5 back!!
We enjoyed our lunch and rested at the lake for about an hour and a half and then headed back hiking this time at the top of the canyon the entire way. It was gorgeous (but no canyon slides this time)!! I do have to admit that the last .8 miles were the longest ever (well it came close to those 2 half marathons I did)!! My feet were aching - but NEVER a better sense of accomplishment then when we finally made it back to our car!
How incredible is it that we have something like this so close to our home! Literally, within minutes we went from being in town at a church to feeling like we were in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the desert (I joked with Rob saying we were on an episode of "Man vs. Wild!" A terrific show on Discovery Channel if you've never seen it! I'm SO happy that we will have an opportunity to raise our little boy in an area like this. . . . so close to nature and "God's World" . . . there's so much to be learned (certainly myself included here). I look forward to all of it!
My hope is to do this hike a few more times and then finally one day hike down the Grand Canyon (10 miles down and 10 miles up I think - but we would spend the night down there)and the Havasupai Falls (10 miles up and down as well). I can't imagine how awesome accomplishing these challenges would be (but I think I'll try them when I'm not pregnant)! Maybe someday with little RJ's boy scout troop even! Just me and the boys! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment