Thursday, September 18, 2008

HUGE Kudos to ALL Breastfeeding Moms Everywhere!

Oh my heavens is breastfeeding this long a lot more work than I could have ever imagined! I thought it was time I dedicated an entry to all the breastfeeding moms in the world - you rock! Little did I know that breastfeeding is just about the least selfish thing you can do for another person. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about quitting several times each day! It's basically a 2nd job for us working mothers. I guess I got to thinking about this subject when I found myself crouched down in a broom closet with my pump yesterday when traveling to our various bank branches in other cities conducting employee training. I had nothing else to do in a broom closet I suppose . . . but think about how much time breastfeeding really takes. Do you know that on days I don't go home to feed RJ at lunch I pump for 20-30 minutes 5 times a day! Now that's not to mention the clean-up and preparation involved with the whole pumping gig. I estimate that on these days I spend over 3 hours pumping! Thank goodness I have an office and can get some work done while pumping (or how in the heck would I ever get my work finished?!)!

Now granted I believe we are at the top of the hill here with RJ wanting the most milk at this point (so I have to pump and pump and feed and feed to max my supply). In the near future (probably a month or so) I hope he begins to move to more solids and less and less milk until finally he's 1 year old and Alleluia,we're having a party . . . because he's moving to cow's milk ASAP! I can guarantee you I will not be one of those Mommy's that can't give up the breast feeding because of the closeness. It's great and all, but this is merely a deal where it's what's best for RJ and what's best for our family financially. It's estimated breast feeding for 1 year saves $5,000! And I can promise you that I can find many other things to do with my son that will provide closeness!

I have to admit that I just really had no clue how much work this would be! I completely respected breastfeeding mothers, but had absolutely no idea how much they were sacrificing for what they believe is best for their kids and families. Now, I can truly say "I know the rest of the story!"

So, in summary . . . I just have to tell the world . . . I am completely and utterly worn out from breastfeeding! But I've made it this far and with only 5 more months to go - I am going to do EVERYTHING in my power to make sure we make it to the year mark! Please wish me luck and keep us in your prayers!!

A final kudos to my amazing and supportive husband, Rob. These last few weeks I've had to pump in the morning before work (after I feed RJ) in order to produce enough quantity for him throughout the day. Rob has completely stepped in and taken over with feeding RJ his solids every morning. I am SO appreciative of that! Also, 1 day last week Rob had to come to work just to get a bottle of milk for RJ to make sure he had enough to get through the day. What a man!! I knew I had the right partner for this journey through parenthood! He knew exactly when to step in and did it right when needed without really being asked! A friend told me when I first returned to work that to breast feed I would need a "supportive man" and I feel like Rob has more than been that! Thanks Rob - I love you SO MUCH!